NEWS
Thursday April 19 2012
Albertini calls up Di Natale

Italian Football Federation Vice-President Demetrio Albertini has backed Antonio Di Natale for Euro 2012 selection.

The Udinese man has never been called up by boss Cesare Prandelli and hasn’t played for his country since the 2010 World Cup.

“When you consider what he is doing then Di Natale is a candidate to go to the championships,” said the former Milan midfielder.

The 34-year-old was expected to be recalled to the squad for the February friendly against America, but was ruled out by injury.

Serie A’s top scorer for the last two seasons, the former Empoli man has netted 20 top-flight goals so far this season.

Turning to Italy’s other striking options, Albertini said he believed that ‘bad boys’ Antonio Cassano and Mario Balotelli could be trusted.

“They’ve always behaved well on international duty,” Albertini continued. “However, sometimes people exaggerate when they criticise their behaviour.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES