NEWS
Wednesday May 2 2012
Ranocchia fears Euro 2012 snub

Andrea Ranocchia has conceded that Claudio Ranieri’s spell in charge at Inter may have cost him his place at Euro 2012.

The 24-year-old had broken into the first team plans of Italy boss Cesare Prandelli, but he’s only appeared in 12 League games so far this season.

“I went through a tough time under a Coach [Ranieri] who I believe I didn't see eye to eye with, even on a personal level,” the former Bari and Genoa man told Inter Channel.

“It's more difficult when you don't play regularly, you lose the tempo, your touch, your instincts. It takes a bit of time to get that back and the first few games were difficult – I wasn't entirely comfortable.

“I'd played so few games, just five in six months. It's obvious you need a bit of time to bed back in,” he said following his recall under new boss Andrea Stramaccioni.

“Now I feel good, even if I'm still not at my best, but I've found a bit more match sharpness in the last two games and I hope to play between now and the end of the season.

“Euro 2012? I respect Coach Prandelli’s decisions and I always will,” continued the centre-back.

“I realise that, having played so little, it's hard for me to be considered. It's also true that I've already played for the national team so the Coach knows me.

“I obviously hope to be called up, if I'm not I'll just do everything I can to be at my best for next season.”

Ranocchia has won eight caps, three of which came during the European Championship qualifiers.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES