NEWS
Tuesday June 12 2012
UEFA to probe alleged racism

UEFA have confirmed that they will investigate two separate reports of racist abuse towards players at Euro 2012, one of whom was Italy’s Mario Balotelli.

Reports this week alleged that racist chants were aimed at Balotelli during his country’s Group C opening clash with Spain on Sunday, whilst Czech Republic defender Theodor Gebre Selassie told reporters that he had heard chants aimed at him during his side’s Group A match with Russia on Friday.

Whilst no official complaint has been made about either case, and indeed Cesare Prandelli told reporters after the Spain game that he had heard no such abuse, the tournament’s governing body has confirmed that they will investigate both instances.

“Following the provision of new independent information today, regarding the two cases of alleged racist chanting in the Spain-Italy and Russia-Czech Republic matches, Uefa is now conducting further investigations,” read a statement released on Tuesday afternoon.

A Spain fans’ group have admitted that sections of its support did abuse Balotelli during the 1-1 draw in Gdansk.

Last week, UEFA President Michel Platini was criticised for suggesting that Balotelli would be fined if he walked off the pitch because of any racist abuse.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES