Siena striker Emanuele Calaio has hit out at referee Paolo Mazzoleni, after his performance against Juventus on Sunday.
The 30-year-old forward was angry with some of the official’s decisions in his side’s 2-1 loss to the Bianconeri at the weekend.
“It is one thing to play against Juventus when it's 11 vs 11,” he told Radio Marte.” But quite another when they have an extra man. There was a clear penalty on me – Giorgio Chiellini belted me from behind in the area. The images are clear.
“If that had happened the other way around, there would be no doubt it was a penalty.”
The Palermo-born goalscorer then went on to concede that the defeat to the Turin giants was a bitter pill to swallow, having gone down to a late Claudio Marchisio goal.
“The defeat against Juventus hurts a lot,” he said. “We were not able to score and then Juve punished us. We were playing against a great team, plus they had some help from the referee. So yes, there is a bit of bitterness.”
He continued by remarking on whether Antonio Conte's side can challenge for a second consecutive Scudetto, and how his team can improve going forward.
“The Champions League has clearly taken a toll on then, but Juve are a naturally strong team. I think Juve, Napoli and Inter will fight out for the title.
“We have done well so far,” he added. “But after the [international] break we have a crucial month, and we have to pick up a lot of points.”
Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!