NEWS
Friday April 26 2013
Barca silence Handanovic whisper

Barcelona have reacted to links with Inter’s Samir Handanovic by insisting they don’t need a new goalkeeper until 2014 at the earliest.

Barca have been paired with the Slovenian international after Victor Valdes confirmed earlier this season that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract at the Camp Nou.

“We still need to make a decision, but we have plenty of time,” Vice-President Josep Maria Bartomeu told Catalunya Radio.

“We don’t need a Valdes replacement immediately as he’s told us that he will leave in 2014. We consider Valdes to be the best goalkeeper in the world, but he doesn’t want to stay.

“When we sign a new goalkeeper we will thank Victor and let him go, but we hope he reconsiders before then.”

Handanovic replaced Julio Cesar at San Siro in the summer after his arrival from Udinese. There were reports that Barca are ready to offer €28m for him.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES