Inter captain Javier Zanetti says he’s already on the road to recovery after leaving hospital following surgery.
The 39-year-old is set to be out for at least six months after he snapped his Achilles tendon in the defeat at Palermo on Sunday.
“The rehabilitation has already begun,” the Argentine said at the Policlinico San Matteo on Thursday. “The operation has been completed and now my recovery is even closer than before.
“The most important thing is to stay healthy and heal well, then we’ll see how long it will take me to get back on the pitch.
“I’ll do everything to get back in action. This is the first serious injury of my career. It’s come right now. But I have the strength to look forward and the desire to return to the pitch.”
Zanetti has been inundated with messages of support since he was stretchered off at the Stadio Barbera.
“I’ve received many messages, not only from the world of football, but also from all over the world of sport.
“It’s made me incredibly happy. Even when I went into the operating room I could hear the fans outside cheering me on – and they even had a banner for me.
“The show of support in these days by so many people has been very touching and emotional.”
Although out of action, Zanetti underlined that he would still make his presence felt within the Nerazzurri squad.
“Now I’ll be right there beside my team, especially since so few games remain now and there are so many challenges ahead.
“I’m sorry I can’t be on the pitch to lend a hand, but I’ll be there for anything they need.
“It’s been a difficult end of the season,” he added. “Not only for the Argentines, but for all of Inter.
“I honestly can’t remember such an unlucky season, but we’ll take note of it and move forward with confidence as we try to change this trend.”
Struggling Inter, who also lost Diego Milito for the season earlier this year, have been plagued by injuries for most of the season.