NEWS
Saturday October 5 2013
Capello: 'I turned down Italy job'

Fabio Capello reveals he “said no” to taking over as Italy Coach. “We talked about it, but I’m concentrated on Russia.”

The former England manager had been one of the candidates to step in amid rumours Cesare Prandelli will walk away after the 2014 World Cup.

“Could I be on the Azzurri bench? We already talked about it, but I said no,” Capello told Metronews.

“I am absolutely concentrated on my work in Russia until 2018.”

He also commented on Mario Balotelli’s latest three-match ban for insulting the referee.

“I don’t know if he will ever mature. I hope so. The greatest talent I ever worked with was Ronaldo, although he was already towards the end of his career at Madrid.

“Fortunately, I have worked with many great players, for example Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Marco Van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Raul and Predrag Mijatovic.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES