NEWS
Thursday February 13 2014
Mazzarri: No doubt over Inter

Walter Mazzarri says there was no doubt to his choosing Inter last summer, as he refuses to put a limit on objectives for the rest of the season.

In an interview released today, the former Napoli boss has reiterated why he decided to sign with the Nerazzurri.

“I had so many requests, but after the words of Moratti, I had no doubts,” Mazzarri commented to Quotidiano Sportivo.

“I did not look at the squad, nor the club, nor the market - I just said I will go and nothing else.”

Inter have endured a difficult first season so far, but picked up a first win of the calendar year last weekend against Sassuolo.

“I’ve directed this week in training like the others. I always try to keep the team away from the turmoil, working and correcting errors and urging the youngster to think only of the field to change the trend in results. Sassuolo has been filed, now we have Fiorentina.

“Could we face a worse opponent at this time? True. La Viola are a very dangerous team, especially on their own ground. But we are confident that we can provide a certain continuity to our results. And then at the beginning of the year I spoke of stages, each stop is a little more towards thinking about the future. Do not forget that we are in a year of transition.”

Inter are just below Fiorentina in fifth, but also have a gap of eight points to make up.

“Are Fiorentina superior? As a Coach I do not make comparisons. I think about Inter and taking them as high as possible, thinking of every game and without limits.

“We must look at ourselves and try to reach our maximum every day. And maybe go further.

“What is the maximum? I make it clear to the players that if they all reach a high level then the results are multiplied.

“I do not want a crazy Inter, that one day can do well and another day not, but a team that will grow and improve day by day.

“Targets for the season? I do not limit myself - there are 45 points up for grabs and I want to win as much as possible. I want a team that will improve day by day.”

Mazzarri was asked of Andrea Ranocchia’s future in the team and if his absence meant a delay in gambling on youth.

“I do not consider Ranocchia a young man but one who is already there and ready. And so if he comes then it is down to the technical choices of the moment.

“Anyway, I consider that if a young person can give more and it is suitable, I would certainly play them, even if they are 17. If I keep him away, then it is because I believe that there are others who can give me more guarantees.”

The 52-year-old was asked for comment on the Fredy Guarin issue that dominated Inter’s work during the January transfer window.

“I will not enter into the merits, but I can say that with me he has always played. The facts tell me that the guy has played even when people have turned up their nose. I left him out only when he was likely to be leaving, but now he is back.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES