FIGC Vice-President Demetrio Albertini confirmed he’ll try to talk Cesare Prandelli out of his resignation.
The Coach announced he was quitting the Italy bench straight after their World Cup group phase exit at the hands of Uruguay, immediately followed by FIGC President Giancarlo Abete.
“Of course it cannot be a positive judgement. We came here and indeed after the first game had different expectations,” Albertini told Rai Sport.
“President Abete had already told me before the game that he had decided to walk away. Now the most important thing is for the institution to aid the hand-over to a new President and the meeting is on Monday, but it will take time to elect new members of the board.
“The situation for the Coach is different, as the Nazionale’s season begins on September 4, so we need to organise a meeting to decide on who will be the tactician for the next two years.
“I spoke with Cesare and he confirmed his desire to leave, but on Monday the President will try to convince him to go back on that resignation.
“Even with the disappointment of this World Cup, the overall work done over four years has been positive in Euro 2012 and the Confederations Cup.”
When asked what foundations the new Italy will build on, Albertini was both optimistic and pessimistic.
“First of all this Italy begins from the new Coach, the experience of the Federation and trying to build a group of players that can compete for Euro 2016. Qualification is not to be taken for granted.
“Optimism is important, but also never forget the glass is half-empty, so we can be honest with ourselves and rebuild by putting football at the centre of the sporting organisation. That way we can help the Coach pick a team that can compete with the other nations.”
Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!