Friday July 18 2014
Udinese to explain Scuffet snub

Udinese announced they’ll hold a Press conference on Monday to “clarify the Simone Scuffet situation.”

The goalkeeper had been expected to join Atletico Madrid and then immediately go out on loan to Spanish side Granada, who are also owned by Udinese patrons the Pozzo family.

However, his family pulled the plug on the deal worth €9m plus add-ons, insisting the 18-year-old stay in Udine to complete his studies before moving abroad.

“On Monday there will be a Press conference to clarify the Scuffet situation,” director general of Udinese Franco Collavino told reporters.

The goalkeeper’s father, Fabrizio Scuffet, had told La Gazzetta dello Sport of his family’s viewpoint.

“We are happy he’s not leaving for Madrid. The club outlined the offer from Atletico, but we wanted him to stay in Udine so he could finish his studies.

“Obviously we thought about it, but this is the decision we have made and we’re happy with it.”

Udinese local Scuffet made his Serie A debut at the age of 17 and turned 18 on May 31.

Check out's list of ££ Free Bets from UK bookmakers before placing your bets!