NEWS
Thursday May 21 2015
Berlusconi: ‘Investors asked me to stay’

Milan President Silvio Berlusconi confirms sale talks and says all potential investors have asked him to stay on in a role at the club.

The former Italian Prime Minister has been in negotiations to sell the club, with those interested including Thai property tycoon Bee Taechaubol and a Chinese government-back consortium.

“I think the situation is clear now,” Berlusconi told TelePadova at his Arcore residence.

“The world of football is now dominated by foreign investment, such as in the case of Qatar. A single family can’t keep up with the competition.

“There are clubs with 300,000 members, but for various reasons this isn’t possible in Italy.

“I thought and still think that a buyer can be found on the international market, including states which can improve their image by being associated with the Milan brand.

“All of those I’ve spoken to have asked me to stay on, because Milan is associated with the Berlusconi brand.

“We’ve negotiated for a maximum of 50 per cent, as well as 50, 51 or 49 per cent, and with a state for a 75-25 per cent split.

“If this thing goes ahead, we’ll return to being competitive in Italy, Europe and the World. If not, I’ll continue to make sacrifices alone.

“The idea is to create an Italian Milan, and Italian team, especially with young people from the youth sector, more in line with the values I was taught, not that of today’s youth.

“My players have to set an example for young people.”

Berlusconi also distanced himself from reports he’ll sack Coach Filippo Inzaghi after previously stating that the two have disagreements.

“I haven’t sacked anyone, I spoke to reporters and simply said that I often disagree with Inzaghi.

“The Coach makes his decisions, and I’ve left him the freedom to do so, as I’ve always done with other Coaches.

“He hasn’t been sacked, and continues with his work.”