NEWS
Sunday June 21 2015
Galliani: 'Kondogbia was done...'

Milan CEO Adriano Galliani reveals “it was all done” for Geoffrey Kondogbia, but they “cannot accept” the sum Inter paid Monaco.

The transfer had been seemingly secure on Friday evening, only for the midfielder to sign for the Nerazzurri on Saturday afternoon.

“At 1.30 it was all done,” Galliani told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “Monaco had given us the all-clear for the sale at €40m with payment spread over two years, €20m and €20m.

“The agreement with Geoffrey had already been sorted out the night before and was confirmed that same morning by him and his father.

“After we exchanged the documentation, at 1.30pm everyone disappeared. Evidently they changed their minds or the others offered more.”

It is in fact reported that Inter have agreed to pay €40m plus performance-related bonuses, with wages that with add-ons will be close to €5m per season.

“I told (Doyen Sports representative) Nelio Lucas, in certain negotiations you have to act like a father with children. A ‘no’ is more difficult to accept than a ‘yes,’ but we cannot accept these figures.

“At times it requires more courage to get up and walk away from the table than to stay, so let’s go.”

Now Jackson Martinez is also slipping away, as Atletico Madrid are prepared to pay the €35m release clause to Porto without a medical.

“If we save €40m on Kondogbia and €35m on Jackson Martinez, we’ll have another €75m to spend wisely over the rest of the transfer window,” added Galliani.

“Whether that’s a good or a bad thing, only time will tell…”