Built in 1937 and formerly known as the Stadio Cibali, Catania’s stadium took the name of Angelo Massimino – club President between 1969 and 1996 – in 2002. The ground was restructured in 1991 and 1997 and is soon to be upgraded to hold 30,000.
The stadium has hosted two Azzurri matches – 1998 v Slovakia and 2002 v USA – and is also used for volleyball and basketball. Although unspectacular, the facilities are abundant – there are five gyms, 16 Press rooms and a running track.
Catania’s Falange d’Assalto Ultras make their presence felt in the Curva Nord and can create an intense atmosphere as they did for the final game of the 2005-06 season against Albinoleffe.