NEWS
Wednesday September 14 2011
Forlan had Inter patience

Diego Forlan has admitted that he was a wanted man before deciding to leave Atletico Madrid for Inter.

The Uruguayan moved to San Siro in the last week of the transfer window and only after he had rejected other clubs.

"A lot of teams were interested in me, but I just wanted to join Inter," he told an Uruguayan radio station.

"I had requests from Qatar, Paris Saint-Germain and also from a number of sides in Turkey as well before the Copa America started.

"I was close to Turkey, but I decided to take my time, wait until after the Copa America to see what could occur.

"I really wanted to play in the Italian championship."

A move to Inter eventually materialised after Samuel Eto'o was sold to Anzhi, but a misunderstanding of the rules means he's not eligible to play in the Champions League until next year.

"I'm angry that I can't feature," he said as Inter prepare to face Trabzonspor on Wednesday evening.

"It's a tournament that excites. I'm just hoping that we qualify from the group stage and that I then can be available for February."

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £5,000 monthly.

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES