NEWS
Wednesday December 8 2010
Monty to make comeback in January

Fiorentina captain Riccardo Montolivo hopes to return to action in January following surgery on his ankle ligaments.

The 25-year-old had been struggling with the injury since the World Cup and hoped to put off an operation until after the winter break.

However, despite bravely playing through the pain barrier for eight matches, Fiorentina's medical staff recommended that he stop.

"I am quite well," he said. "I have started to run again. I am satisfied with my recovery. I hope to be available again for the first games in January."

Asked about his future, Montolivo said: "A lot has already been said about the renewal of my contract and now is not the moment.

"There haven't been any meetings with the club, but there certainly will be and we will talk. There is no hurry.

"Fiorentina are improving. We played two great games against Milan and Juventus and I am sure that we will enjoy ourselves in the future.

"It was important for Adrian Mutu to get on the scoresheet again. We expect it and hope he keeps scoring."

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £5,000 monthly.

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES