NEWS
Monday October 24 2011
Gattuso refuses to quit

Milan warrior Gennaro Gattuso says he won't retire despite the fact that he's still suffering from double vision.

The 2006 World Cup winner, 33, hasn't played since the opening League game of the season after it was revealed that he's struggling with a paralysis of the seventh cranial nerve.

"There was a time when I thought the worst, but I want to get back to playing football," he said during a Press conference on Monday.

"It'll take more than this to beat me. The important thing is to not give up. I can train, but I can't play because I have double vision.

"After 50 days out, I'll need to wait another four months before an operation can take place to resolve everything.

"About 25 days ago there was the risk that I could be forced to retire. The first thing that Vice-President Adriano Galliani said to me was to not worry because the club could use me in other ways."

There was speculation that Gattuso damaged his eye in an accidental clash with Alessandro Nesta during the 2-2 draw with Lazio.

"I was advised not to play as something had already occurred four days earlier, but I wanted to and I stepped out on to the pitch with vision problems," Gattuso added.

"I didn't see Sandro at all. I looked drunk for the first 20 minutes of that game, they were horrible. I saw Zlatan Ibrahimovic in four different positions…"

Milan have turned to top doctors in Italy and America to help Gattuso, but it's going to take some time before we can see Gattuso back in action.

"At this time I'm not thinking about football, but about daily life," the former Rangers man noted. "It's horrible to not be able to drive because you see double.

"The important thing is to get back to normal life and to come out of this stronger than ever."

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES