NEWS
Friday January 6 2012
Mazzone: Break bank for De Rossi

Former Roma Coach Carlo Mazzone has pleaded to the capital club to sign Daniele De Rossi to a new deal, whatever it costs.

The saga surrounding De Rossi’s future looks set to end this month with the club reportedly offering the midfielder a final ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ proposal on Friday.

Mazzone, though, believes that the Giallorossi cannot afford to lose the Italian international at any cost and therefore should be prepared to meet his demands.

“As a Roman, a former player and former Coach of the Giallorossi, my point of view is that De Rossi cannot leave Rome,” the 74-year-old told Goal.com.

“Daniele cannot go. Alongside [Francesco] Totti he is part of the team flag and a symbol of the city. Now, beyond the affection I feel for Daniele, we all know that we are talking about a great player.

“The new owners took control of the club in the summer and said that they want to build a great team and have a great future. I must say that so far they have done well, but if they allow De Rossi to leave, how could they defend that?

“De Rossi is a champion - The club must do everything possible to meet his demands.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES