NEWS
Friday February 3 2012
Ventura blocked Ogbonna sale

Torino have revealed that they did consider selling Angelo Ogbonna before boss Giampiero Ventura stopped them.

The Italian international has signed a new deal with the Serie B club until 2016, but only after the Granata had previously evaluated offers for him.

“There was a moment when he could have been sold,” Toro President Urbano Cairo told La Stampa.

“However, Ventura asked us to keep him and the player too wanted to remain. After that, the only way forward was an extension to his contract.”

The defender is considered as a potential international regular of the future and he’s also caught the attention of foreign sides.

“Valencia, Napoli and Benfica were after him,” Cairo continued. “We were offered €10m for his transfer.”

The President also revealed that he rejected a January offer from Catania for former Manchester City striker Rolando Bianchi.

“They asked me for Bianchi, but I told them that he wasn’t for sale. I turned down €4.5m to keep him here.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £5,000 monthly.

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES