NEWS
Friday February 17 2012
No Capello, Hiddink joins Anzhi

Fabio Capello is still on the market, as the Anzhi managerial job has officially gone to Guus Hiddink instead.

The former England manager had been hotly linked with the post in Russia, but this afternoon the club announced Hiddink had signed a contract to the end of the 2012-13 campaign.

The 65-year-old Dutch tactician, who is also a former Coach of Chelsea, Russia and Turkey, has also been appointed Vice-President for development.

“I'm glad to accept such an opportunity,” said Hiddink.

Previous Anzhi boss Yury Krasnozhan quit this week under two months after taking over.

This means that Capello is still free from commitments after resigning as England manager earlier this month.

Don Fabio has been linked with a future at Inter, Roma or even as a director at Juventus.

“It was never understood what type of contact Capello had with Anzhi,” Russian football pundit Giorgio Kudinov told RadioCalciomercato.

“Either Capello turned down the proposal or the Russian club created this story to make it seem as if there were alternatives to Hiddink, a name that had been circulating in the Anzhi environment for months.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES