NEWS
Saturday January 8 2011
Reja: 'Lazio's objective is second'

Edy Reja maintains “Lazio's objective is second place” this season and reveals why there has been a delay in signing Roque Santa Cruz.

The Biancocelesti are five points adrift of leaders Milan, but so far the only side to keep up that Scudetto pace.

“Our target for 2011 is to maintain our current position, so the objective is second place,” said the Coach.

“It would be very important for the future of this club if we became accustomed to staying in the top spots. To do that we need planning and ideas, because we don't have the money of other clubs.”

The year started with a 0-0 draw at Genoa, but full points are expected tomorrow against relegation strugglers Lecce.

“So far we have had a few problems against the smaller sides, especially on home turf, yet did very well against the big clubs and proved we deserve to be in second.

“Lecce have caused a lot of difficulties for many opponents, such as Napoli. These are dangerous games precisely because the result seems obvious, but it isn't. There's a tough month ahead of us and we're convinced that we can do well.”

There could also be reinforcements for Lazio during the January transfer window, although Manchester City striker Santa Cruz has not yet completed his loan switch.

“I have told the club what characteristics I want in the player we need,” continued Reja.

“Then Lazio's directors go out and negotiate, while also seeking clarification on the player's fitness levels.”

This implies Santa Cruz has not yet been picked up due to his lack of form, so either want a discount from City or to abandon the move entirely.

“It's not easy to find important reinforcements in January. Those with quality players tend to hold on tight and we don't have €30m to convince them otherwise.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES