NEWS
Monday May 23 2011
Milan implement over-30 rule

Milan chief Adriano Galliani says the club will only hand one-year contract extensions to players over the age of 30.

The official made the statement when asked about the departure of Andrea Pirlo who leaves the outfit after a decade.

"I think that it is too much for a player who is 30-32 to think about a three-year contract," he told Sky Italia.

"Had Pirlo accepted shorter terms then he would probably have remained. From now on, Milan will only offer yearly contracts to players over 30."

Pirlo, who turned 32 last week, is expected to join Juventus on a three-year deal once his present agreement with the Rossoneri expires next month.

Pirlo is one of numerous players whose contracts were or are set to expire in June, another being veteran Clarence Seedorf.

"We want him to renew with us and I'll try everything to make sure that he stays," Galliani added.

Galliani will hold fresh talks with the Dutchman, who is wanted by numerous Brazilian clubs, at some stage this week.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES