NEWS
Wednesday July 20 2011
Materazzi blasts Leo for exit

Marco Materazzi has hit out at former boss Leonardo for prematurely ending his Inter love affair.

The veteran defender rescinded his contract earlier this summer a year before it was set to expire after being told he was no longer wanted by Leo.

However, just weeks later, the Brazilian tactician then quit after being offered a sporting director role at Paris SG.

"Let's be clear, leaving Inter a year early was not my decision," the 37-year-old told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Leonardo betrayed me, the club told me that I no longer featured in his plans and I wouldn't even be included in the Champions League squad.

"I don't know the real reason why Leonardo wanted me out. I never caused any trouble when I didn't play.

"He always said that I gave everything on and off the pitch, but then he didn't even let me play a minute in the Coppa Italia."

The 2006 World Cup winner is now a free agent, but claims he could be back at San Siro sooner rather than later.

"If I don't find a new club by the end of August then I already have an agreement to return to Inter to work alongside player scout Piero Ausilio," added the defender.

"I've had the Inter emblem tattooed on to my heart and I will always be grateful to Massimo Moratti for believing in me when others spoke ill of me."

Materazzi, who spent a decade at Inter, has had a colourful career on both the domestic and international stage for club and country.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES