Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani maintains that Antonio Cassano's career will not come to an end as a result of heart surgery.
The forward will undergo a minor procedure over the next few days to resolve a congenital defect which saw him hospitalised at the weekend.
"His career is not at risk," the Rossoneri official stated on Wednesday afternoon.
"He'll need a few months to recover, but he'll probably have to wait between four and six months to get clearance to play. It'll be the doctors who decide.
"All I know for sure is that he is missing football a lot, but I've told Cassano that we'll keep his place warm."
Galliani visited the Italian international earlier today and he maintains that the former Sampdoria player is keeping positive.
"The boy is well," the official continued. "He has this small heart problem, but you've all seen the media release.
"He has this small hole, but he'll now have surgery that will close it. It will then be up to the Italian Football Federation to decide when he can return.
"Cassano wants to get back to action, but it's now up to the sporting bodies.
"I was very worried on Sunday…
"I told Antonio that he had been lucky, even if it would have been better if none of this had happened. It's all OK and this chapter can be closed after this minor procedure."
Despite the fact that he could play again this season, Cassano is a major doubt for Euro 2012 selection.
Check out OLBG.com 's list of ££ Free Bets from UK bookmakers before placing your bets!