Giuseppe Rossi “is distraught” after a new injury ruled him out of Euro 2012, confirmed Italy chief medic Professor Enrico Castellacci.
The Villarreal striker had been out for six months and hoped to find form in time to take part in this summer’s tournament, but damaged the same right knee ligament today and will be sidelined for another six months. 
“I was just on the phone to Beppe. He’s distraught and really expected to make a comeback with a chance for the Euros, but now I think he’ll go back to the United States,” Professor Castellacci told Radio Sportiva.
“This is a terrible blow for the athlete and the man, who I really care about. He’s a splendid lad and this setback gives us all great pain. I had spoken to him only two days ago and he said he felt good. We were happy to hear his enthusiasm and I probably would’ve gone to see him personally.
“I perform hundreds of operations on cruciate ligaments every year. He said it was a banal trauma that caused it, but there could be many reasons for the fresh injury and it doesn’t seem right to discuss them until we know more details. Meanwhile, the drama of this poor lad is what stands out.
“He will have to undergo another operation and wait those six months to get back to playing football.”
It is a bitter blow for Cesare Prandelli, who said he’d wait until the last minute for Rossi and Antonio Cassano before deciding his Euro 2012 squad.
“In medical terms, when a player tells me he is at Villarreal’s disposal and will return to the field on Sunday, then he is in the running for the European Championship,” confirmed Castellacci.
“As for Cassano, his return is splendid news. His heart condition had really worried us and we are very happy for the athlete and above all the man. Again, the Coach will decide on whether he goes to Euro 2012, but there is great satisfaction at seeing this lad on the field again after it seemed as if his career could be at risk.”