Adrian Mutu's agent has sensationally claimed that his client is being prevented from joining Cesena because Fiorentina see them as a rival in a relegation battle.
Fiorentina have threatened to take legal action against Mutu after he abandoned training this week without permission following a phone call from his agent.
A statement was released this morning on Fiorentina's official website revealing that Mutu would be excluded from training with the club after failing to fulfill his contractual obligations.
Mutu's agent had been in talks with Fiorentina about his client's future when the subject of Cesena's interest in the player came up in conversation.
It's thought that this sparked the breakdown in the relationship between the two parties.
Speaking at a Press Conference, Mutu's agent Giovanni Becali said: "Fiorentina and Andrea Della Valle in particular don't want to sell Mutu to Cesena because, as the President told me, there is survival at stake and Cesena are a competitor.
"I met with Andrea Della Valle, Mencucci, another Fiorentina director and Pantaleo Corvino at the club's offices on Wednesday.
"Before then Corvino had 99.9 per cent agreed to the player's sale to Cesena who are ready to offer him a three and a half year contract with the option of an extra year.
"Cesena's President has confirmed as much to me again this morning. But Della Valle and the other directors preferred that Mutu be sold abroad.
"In the course of the meeting some insults were flying around, which were aimed at Adrian and I was told that he wouldn't be selected for the away match against Bologna.
"I didn't understand the reason why. I made the mistake of calling Adrian before he went out to train and told him that they only wanted to sell him abroad and that he was out of the team. He was angry and left the training ground.
"So it's not true that he wasn't selected because he skipped training. It had already been decided that he wouldn't be going to Bologna."