Napoli have inquired to Bologna over the possibility of signing defensive midfielder Gaby Mudingayi, says the player’s agent.
The former Lazio midfielder has been with the Felsinei since 2008, but with just a year left on his contract and his own intimation that the Emilia-Romagna side have not offered him a new deal,  rumours are abound that he is set to be sold.
Napoli, who have previously been paired with the player in previous transfer windows, are front of the queue for the 30-year-old’s signature, says his representative.
“I understand that there has been contact between Bologna and Napoli, whilst the profile of the player that Napoli are after is a midfielder like Gaby, and I don’t think it is inaccurate to say that over the past two seasons Mudingayi has demonstrated that he is an extremely valuable player and has become one of the top two or three midfielders in the Italian League,” declared Federico Pastorello to Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli on Tuesday.
“It seems normal that Napoli, which is a great club, look at Gaby, who cannot but give an absolute willingness to this transfer.
“Certainly with the boy we know that several teams are becoming interested, but some clubs have not taken into account that Bologna is an optimum choice, and that only if Napoli call can he not say no.
“This is even though the Azzurri have strong competition for places. If Mudingayi were to decide to leave Bologna then he will do so in the early days of the market.
“How much would he cost? I cannot say. The boy is no longer young, but he is intact and can play at a high level for at least another three years, whilst he is out of contract in 2013. I struggle to name a price, but the cost and value of the player makes the purchase of Gaby a big deal for whoever achieves it.”