Fabio Capello says Italy have problems in attack – but he would still use Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano against Germany.
The Azzurri have progressed to Thursday’s semi-final after scoring just four goals in four games at the tournament.
“I saw an excellent Italy against England, but we don’t take our chances,” Capello told Sky Sport Italia. “We are missing a striker who can finish.
“Cassano is a player of great class, great quality, but you can’t expect quantity from him. Together with Balotelli, Cesare Prandelli considers him as the best.
“I agree with the idea of seeing them start again in the semi-final against Germany. They are the most suitable to play on paper.”
Capello led England to qualification, but he’s had to watch the tournament as a spectator after his resignation earlier this year.
“I’ve been surprised by the quality of the Italy squad and with the humility that they play with,” added the former Milan, Roma and Juventus boss.
“Andrea Pirlo is the leader of this team though and he, alongside Daniele De Rossi, is the best midfielder in the world.”
Capello also believes that the possible inclusion of Giorgio Chiellini after injury could boost Italy’s chances even further.
“That would be an important return,” he added. “Chiellini is now more mature and proved himself to be an added bonus for Juventus.”
Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition  - £10,000 to be won!