Fiorentina released a strongly-worded statement calling Milan’s offer for Adem Ljajic “unacceptable, late and inopportune.”
It is widely reported that the Rossoneri already agreed personal terms with the 22-year-old, even though he is still under contract until June 2014.
“With regards to what was said yesterday by Paolo Panerai on the Ljajic issue, Fiorentina confirm our counsellor’s comments were personal expressions,” read the statement.
“Having said that, we consider Milan’s offer to be unacceptable, certainly late and absolutely inopportune.”
Panerai had taken to Twitter on Saturday to attack Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani for an approach that was “violating the rules.”
The Viola also complained that there had been no formal offer, as the €8m bid was delivered via a phone call instead.
Milan finally sent the fax this weekend, but the €8m proposal is considered too low.
Negotiations were continuing, but this statement suggests Fiorentina have hardened their stance on letting Ljajic go.
It had also been reported that the player turned down a more lucrative move to Tottenham because he has his heart set on the Rossoneri.
Milan are in New York for tonight's Guinness International Champions Cup tie with Chelsea and told reporters they won't comment on the statement.
Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition  - £10,000 to be won!