“If Gokhan Inler doesn't sign for Napoli by Saturday, then he will stay with us,” said Udinese director of sport Fabrizio Larini.
The two clubs shook hands on a transfer fee over a month ago, but negotiations over personal terms have hit numerous problems.
“If Inler doesn't sign for Napoli by Saturday, then he's staying with us,” Larini told Radio Kiss Kiss.
“We have our own strategies and the two clubs reached an agreement some time ago, so we cannot wait indefinitely.
“Next week Udinese begin pre-season training and therefore we must know if we can count on Inler for the Champions League preliminary round or not.
“At the moment we consider him to be a player who has already been sold. These are decisive days to finalise the matter, one way or the other.”
Many believed a decision had been made once Inler was left off the squad list for pre-season training.
“That had nothing to do with the negotiations with Napoli. He played a few games with Switzerland after the end of the season and therefore started his vacation time later.”