Alessandro Costacurta has confirmed that Luigi Di Biagio will take interim charge of Italy, while Antonio Conte “is still a candidate” for CT.
Costacurta’s remarks come despite Conte pledging his loyalty to Chelsea earlier on Friday, although Under-21 boss Di Biagio should be in place to oversee Italy’s next three friendlies against Argentina, England and Saudi Arabia.
“It’s gone well so far, we’ve only talked about programs and priorities,” the FIGC vice-commissioner and ex-Milan defender told Calciomercato.it.
“Malago said I’d have the last word on the CT? I don’t think so. Fabbricini will want to have his say…
“Conte said he had 18 months left on his Chelsea contract and would respect it? We’ll see, he’s still a candidate.
“We heard from Mancini last night, but it was by chance. Now we have some time to think things through.
“I’ll call Di Biagio: he’ll be the caretaker, although we hope he will. If he wins our next three friendlies 4-0, we should think about him.
“However, for now he must be considered the Coach of our Under 21s and our caretaker.
“Has Berlusconi written to me? No, although now that I’m thinking about it, I feel a bit offended…”
Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/