NEWS
Monday May 20 2019
Ancelotti: Two more years

Carlo Ancelotti says he is ready to honour the remaining two years on his Napoli contract. “I’m happy to be here.” 

Some reports claimed last week that Cristiano Ronaldo had asked Juventus to bring back Ancelotti as a replacement for Max Allegri, but the 59-year-old made it clear he would not walk out on Napoli.

“I have a clause on May 30, and I hope Napoli will exercise it,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“I’m tied to the club and I’d like to stay for another two years. I’m happy to be here.

“The Coach is always the last to know anything. They always live in doubt. I know sackings are part of our work.

“Experience shows that, for Coaches, only results count so planning becomes difficult. I suffered more when I was sacked by Juventus, but then I got used to it.

The Partenopei thrashed Inter 4-1 on Sunday, which extended the gap between the two clubs to 13 points.

“Not only this game showed it. We have huge quality and many other performances have shown it,” explained the former Milan boss.

“There’s great sincerity and professionalism in the group: we didn’t have anything to play for in our last few games.

“This team have given great signals throughout the season. We lost a bit of ground and some of our quality midseason, but we regained it in the final stretch.

“I won’t single anyone out over where we can improve, but we’ll need to apply much more attacking pressure, even if means risking something at the back.

“We need to improve our intensity there. It was worth trying out and we did well against Inte.”