NEWS
Saturday June 1 2019
Benitez: 'Open to all possibilities'

Rafa Benitez refused to comment on his Newcastle United future, but said he is “open to all possibilities” including a Serie A return.

The Spanish tactician had two spells in Italy with Inter and then Napoli, but his situation with the Magpies is up in the air.

“It wasn’t an easy season, but for a club like this to comfortably secure its Premier League status without doubt makes it a positive campaign,” Benitez told Calciomercato.it.

However, when asked if he will continue to be on the Newcastle bench next term, he clammed up.

“I’d prefer not to talk about that at the moment. My friends told me several rumours about Serie A interest. I like Italian football, that much is clear, but I don’t know as of today what will happen.

“I still watch a lot of Serie A football, I remain in contact with several players I worked with there and hold very good memories of my time in Italy.”

There have been suggestions of a move to Milan, Roma or Lazio, as the Serie A managerial merry-go-round is in full swing.

He did not deny reports that Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis had tried to recall him last year when Maurizio Sarri left for Chelsea.

“I had a contract with Newcastle and was happy there, especially as my family loves being in England. Now I am open to new possibilities, I don’t know what will happen over the next couple of months, but obviously Napoli are very happy with Carlo Ancelotti now.

“I am proud of what we achieved at Napoli, as the team played well and won two trophies, which is not easy. I also ran into some Napoli fans here in Madrid who remembered me with great fondness.”