NEWS
Saturday July 13 2019
Ferrero: 'I won't bid for Palermo'

Sampdoria President Massimo Ferrero has announced he is not making a bid to reboot Palermo after bankruptcy. “It’s more about local politics than football.”

Bankruptcy procedures are already in full swing after the squad went unpaid for months and they failed to register for the 2019-20 Serie B season.

New groups will now step forward and present their projects to the Mayor of Palermo, who can choose the people relaunching football in the Sicilian city.

“Before anyone else says it or starts speculation, I will be clear now: I am not participating in the invitation to tender a project for Palermo Calcio,” Ferrero told news agency ANSA.

“It seemed to me that the conditions proposed would have more to do with local politics than football. Mayor Leoluca Orlando is performing his role in this direction and in the best way he can.

“My interest for Palermo is not like that: it was passionate, managerial, structural. The objective would’ve been to give this club a more national flavour as well as local.

“I hope that whoever takes on the new Palermo can do well, so I wish everyone luck.”

The group involving Dario Mirri and Rinaldo Sagramola, who had already tried desperately to save the club with sponsorship deals earlier this year, are now the favourites to reboot football in Palermo.

Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/