NEWS
Thursday October 15 2020
Spadafora believes Ronaldo 'broke protocol'

Minister of Sport Vincenzo Spadafora believes Juventus talisman Cristiano Ronaldo broke the health protocol by travelling to Portugal on international duty.

The Portuguese talisman played in back-to-back stalemates against Spain and France before testing positive for coronavirus.

He then had to watch Portgual win 3-0 against Sweden from his sofa but reports in Italian media emerged claiming the 35-year-old was the first to break the Juventus bubble ahead of the international break.

Ronaldo and the rest of the team had already had two negative swab tests but, as per the FIGC protocol, they needed one more in the following days in order to be allowed to leave the fiduciary isolation at the J|Hotel.

Ronaldo reportedly raised his voice in front of the club’s directors and his teammates, before he decided to leave the Allianz Stadium, returning home to his family prior to leaving for Portugal.

Minister of Sport Spadafora believes he has violated the protocol by travelling to and from Portugal.

“Yes, I think so, if there haven’t been any specific authorisations from the health authority,” Spadafora told Rai Radio 1.

Spadafora continued to reveal the stadiums will remain empty.

“For now, certainly yes,” he said. “The regions had proposed 25 per cent of the capacity but for now we can’t authorise it.

“At least until next month. We must see how the contagion curve will go from here until mid-November.”

Juventus patron Andrea Agnelli was asked for a response to Spadafora’s comment during the press conference at the Shareholders’ Meeting today.

“You need to call the Ministry of Health and Home Affairs, those who apply the laws of the state, and get an explanation,” he said.

“Juve apply the federal protocol. I’m a sports manager, I don’t know if he has violated a state law.”