Inter talent Felice Natalino’s career could be over, as the Under-21 international underwent emergency heart surgery.
The 20-year-old full-back had put his career on hold after tests showed up an irregular heartbeat, but a rehabilitation process had him backin training.
However, two weeks ago he felt ill while at home in Calabria and was rushed to hospital, then flown to Milan for surgery on Thursday.
Natalino had already made his Serie A debut at the age of 18 and notched up two top flight games for Inter, plus a Champions League appearance in 2010.
“The doctors told us we need to wait for around six weeks until we’ll know if Felice can return to playing football,” his father Pasquale told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“If he can, then it won’t be earlier than four or five months. What really counts is that my son is fine and we are happy.
“On Wednesday he didn’t want to miss a minute of the Under-21 game or Cesare Prandelli’s Italy against Holland. Our joy is seeing him healthy. The rest, we’ll see.”
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk