Milan Channel director Mauro Suma has claimed that Napoli tried this summer to sign Max Allegri as their replacement for Walter Mazzarri.
Reports earlier this week suggested that the Vesuviani approached Italy Coach Cesare Prandelli with a contract offer in the wake of Mazzarri’s resignation on the last day of the 2012-13 season.
However, it has been claimed that Allegri, whose position at Milan remains uncertain, was top of the runners-up’s list.
“Allegri was first on [President Aurelio] De Laurentiis’ list,” Milan Channel director Suma told Sport Italia on Friday.
“He had contacted many, as he said so himself, but with Allegri he was insistent.
“For two months the President tried with Allegri before finally considering other Coaches.”
Roma have been speculated as having presented Allegri with a contract offer, should he be sacked by the Rossoneri.
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk