Genoa boss Gian Piero Gasperini has confirmed he was once a contender to take charge of Juventus.
“There was only one true contact,” he told the Corriere dello Sport. “I spoke with [previous directors] Alessio Secco and Jean-Claude Blanc.
“However, a week before I had already reached a verbal agreement with Genoa President Enrico Preziosi to sign a three-year extension.
“The Juventus directors told me that I was amongst the two or three contenders and I, although flattered, told them to talk with Preziosi.
“It was all born and died there. I have no regrets though, it obviously wasn’t the right moment.”
Gasperini thus remained with the port club until his sacking in November 2010. He’s now back at Marassi and preparing to face Juve in Turin on Sunday.
“I think Juventus boss Antonio Conte has demonstrated that he has something more than others, but all Italian Coaches are good – they are the best in circulation,” added the ex-Inter and Palermo tactician.
“Would I swap Alberto Gilardino with Carlos Tevez? Absolutely not, Gila scores more goals. The important thing is that Juve don’t take him away – at least not this season.”
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk