Uruguay’s Luis Suarez has been handed a four-month ban after being found guilty of biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini.
The forward committed the offence during the World Cup match between the nations on Tuesday, which was won 1-0 by the South Americans.
It is understood a nine-game penalty will solely be for international fixtures, though the Liverpool man has also been banned from any football-related activity for four months.
This means he will not return to club action until October 27 at the latest.
“Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field,” said Claudio Sulser, chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.
“The Disciplinary Committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suárez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code. The decision comes into force as soon it is communicated.”
Uruguayan FA President Wilmar Valdez had been convinced there was not enough evidence for FIFA to find Suarez guilty of biting.
“We believe there is not the necessary evidence to punish Suarez,” Valdez said to reporters.
“FIFA’s video evidence is not clear and because of this, we are convinced that our defence will produce the result we are hoping for.”
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk