Carlo Ancelotti slammed the door on a Milan comeback. “Either I stay at Real Madrid or take a year off.”
The Coach is widely expected to terminate his contract with the Merengues by mutual consent after failing to win La Liga or the Champions League.
He finished the campaign with a 7-3 victory over Getafe this evening and was given a standing ovation by the fans, who for the most part do not want him to leave.
“My future is clear in my mind,” said Ancelotti in a Press conference on Saturday night.
“Either I stay at Real Madrid or I take a year off. Last year we won La Decima, don’t forget that.
“I just want to stay here. If the club doesn’t want me to, then I will have to accept it. I wouldn’t be happy, but in my line of work these things can happen.
“As of today, nobody has come up to me and said I will not continue as Coach of the Casa Blanca. We’ll speak on Monday or Tuesday, but I cannot say anything more today, as I too am waiting for news.
“The club is calmly considering the best decision.”
This effectively closes the door on a Milan return, just hours after President Silvio Berlusconi said his comeback was just a matter of red tape.
“I am not one for comebacks, as we’ve had them in the past and they did not work,” Berlusconi told Napoli TV.
“However, I am tied to Carletto by a strong personal friendship. He will also have some personal assistants to help him.
“I think it will be a positive comeback. If Real Madrid let him go, then he will return to us.”
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk