Stadio Luigi Ferraris
Corso A De Stefanis, 16139 Genoa
Pitch dimensions
105m x 68m

Built in 1911, the Stadio Luigi Ferraris is one of Italy’s oldest stadiums with a distinctly British architectural influence stemming from the creation of Sampdoria’s neighbours, Genoa. The pair share the ground, although the latter regard the arena as theirs – many locals still refer to it as ‘U Campu du Zena’ which means Genoa’s pitch in Ligurian dialect.

The Luigi Ferraris – also known as the Marassi after the urban district it was built in – was redeveloped for the 1990 World Cup and its square red structure, with four 44-metre-tall towers at each corner of the perimeter, makes it one of Italy’s most recognisable stadiums. The proximity of the fans to the pitch allows the 9,000-strong crowd of the Gradinata Sud to make their support during the Derby della Lanterna fully heard.

Located near the city centre and in a dense neighbourhood of closely-packed buildings, the stadium is easy to reach on foot or on a special stadium bus which departs from either of the city’s main railway stations Principe or Brignole.