Alessandro Nesta assures he's not fighting for a big new Milan contract. “I know I can't expect as much money now.”
There were reports this morning that the veteran defender was upset with the renewal offer on the table, especially with Philippe Mexes arriving from Roma on a free transfer in the summer.
“It's not true that I will retire next season, nor is it true that I had a row with the club. In fact, I haven't even spoken to the club yet,” Nesta told Sky Sport Italia.
“I am aware that the years are getting on and I know I can't expect as much money as I earn right now.
“There is just a small doubt over whether I'll get to stay another year. Clearly the squad must be revitalised and slowly the old guard will be placed to one side, but that is how it should be. Milan can relax, as Thiago Silva is the best centre-back in the world.”
Nesta missed last week's win at Fiorentina due to a knee injury and hopes to be back in time to face Sampdoria.
“I went to this very good doctor in Germany. The knee joint itself is fine, so the problem is a scar outside that area and I should be ready to play against Sampdoria on Saturday. We are fired up for the end of the season.”
Zlatan Ibrahimovic definitely won't be there, having picked up a three-match ban for insulting the assistant referee.
“I think Ibra's punishment was excessive, as at times you can speak out during a match situation,” continued Nesta,
“It's not true he is unwelcome in the locker room. He has fun here and in my view has found his ideal environment. Having said that, the team can do well even without him, as don't forget we have players like Robinho and Clarence Seedorf on the bench.”
See the latest Serie A predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk