NEWS
Sunday June 30 2019
Ceferin: 'Never again that Italy exit'

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin admits the next European U21 Championship will have 16 teams to avoid the situation that saw Italy eliminated.

The tournament final is tonight between Germany and Spain, but there was controversy after the hosts crashed out.

The current format has three groups of four teams, with only the group winners and best runner-up going through to the semi-finals.

As Italy were in Group A, France and Romania knew they could draw two days later and both qualify at the expense of Italy.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Thursday February 7 2019
Ceferin: New FFP in the works

Aleksander Ceferin has revealed plans for the ‘second phase’ of Financial Fair Play after being re-elected as UEFA President.

News of Ceferin’s second term comes as no surprise, given he was unopposed and essentially handed another four years by default.

The 51-year old became UEFA’s seventh President in September 2016, replacing Michel Platini who was implicated in a corruption scandal.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Thursday February 7 2019
UEFA warns clubs over CL exit

UEFA has warned clubs thinking about leaving the Champions League that they would ‘no longer be great’ but praised the FIGC for its handling of racism.

Speaking at the 43rd UEFA Congress in Rome on Thursday morning, UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin stood up to FIFA’s Gianni Infantino, asserting he was not a ‘yes-man’.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Wednesday February 6 2019
UEFA and ECA pen new agreement

UEFA and the European Club Association signed a renewed Memorandum of Understanding to 2024, which essentially staves off a Superleague.

The ECA Chairman is Juventus President Andrea Agnelli and he described today’s decision as “an important moment in the history of European football. 

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Tuesday November 20 2018
Ceferin: ‘Milan? It’s being investigated’

UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin is asked how Yonghong Li could ever have been allowed to buy Milan - “we all knew there was a problem…”

The Chinese businessman bought the Rossoneri from Silvio Berlusconi in April 2017, but was forced out by Elliott Management just over a year later.

His time in charge saw reckless spending and ludicrous business plans, and Diavolo were initially thrown out of the Europa League for Financial Fair Play.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Tuesday November 20 2018
UEFA: Super League is 'fiction'

UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin insists talk of a breakaway European Super League is ‘fiction’.

A recent Football Leaks investigation revealed 16 European clubs, including Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma, had been negotiating to form a Super League, but Ceferin assured it was mere fantasy.

“The Super League will not happen. It is in a way a fiction now or a dream,” he told BBC Sport.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Thursday September 13 2018
Ceferin: ‘No CL final in New York’

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin insists the idea of holding the Champions League final in New York “is not currently being discussed”.

This week Mediapro CEO Jaume Roures claimed negotiations were ongoing to host the showpiece event in the Big Apple, but that has today been denied.

“This idea is currently not being discussed at all,” Ceferino said in a statement.

“UEFA has no plans to stage the Champions League final outside Europe.”

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Saturday September 1 2018
CR7 blames Perez for Modric win?

The controversy rumbles on after Cristiano Ronaldo bailed on the Champions League draw, as Luka Modric was named Best Player.

The Juventus star won the award for Best Champions League Midfielder of the Season, part of a Real Madrid clean sweep that also saw Keylor Navas, Sergio Ramos and Modric win trophies.

However, the ultimate prize for Player of the Season went to Croatia international Modric.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Friday August 31 2018
UEFA confirms VAR plans

Aleksander Ceferin has confirmed that there is a possibility of VAR being used in the Champions League later this season.

Ceferin initially rejected claims that VAR could feature from the Champions League quarter-finals, but the UEFA chief told Gazzetta dello Sport: “I won’t exclude it being used later this season, but for now it doesn’t look like it will.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds
NEWS
Tuesday August 28 2018
UEFA ‘not convinced’ by VAR

UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin has rejected reports that VAR could be used from the Champions League quarter-finals this season. “I’m still not convinced.”

UEFA bosses were said to be ‘impressed’ by how VAR improved the level of officiating during the World Cup in Russia, but Ceferin made it clear the technology was not yet ‘ready’ for Europe’s elite club competition.

Enable Scroll-To-Play Video
Do Not Exclude From Feeds