NEWS
Saturday January 11 2014
Conte: 'Juve, ignore Roma'

Antonio Conte warns “nothing has changed” after beating Roma, as Juventus face a tricky trip to Cagliari.

It kicks off on Sunday at 14.00 GMT, click here for a match preview.

“It’s still the same season and the important thing is to follow up the 3-0 win over Roma,” said Conte in his Press conference.

“I said it before that game too, that winning against Roma was worth only three points, just as tomorrow’s match with Cagliari is worth three points. Nothing has changed.”

A week on from the 3-0 demolition of their closest title rivals sent them eight points clear, the Coach tried to shrug off that achievement.

“I don’t think about it anymore. If I did then it would be very dangerous ahead of tomorrow’s game. It was just a first leg. We played well and now we must focus on Cagliari.

“It’s going to be a probing test against a tough team to beat on their own turf. The fact we’ve won 10 in a row will also make Cagliari even more eager to break that run.”

An 11th consecutive victory would set a new club record as well as consolidate their status at the top of the Serie A table.

“Records were made to be broken. We’ve already surpassed my own best streak from previous seasons and don’t forget last year we had nine victories in a row before that run was interrupted against Cagliari. We can write a new page in the history books, but records are worth little if they are not followed by the final success.”

Andrea Barzagli is suspended and Conte noted Martin Caceres would be “an excellent option” to replace him in defence.

“Cagliari are a tough side, solid tactically with some very dangerous forwards. Diego Lopez is doing a great job with them and Marco Sau and Victor Ibarbo are particularly worrying opponents. Few relegation battlers have a front line like they do.

“It’s a shame there will only be 5,000 people allowed into the stadium, as Cagliari is a wonderful city and they deserve to see this game. There are also so many Bianconeri supporters in Sardinia, so it’s a pity about the restriction.”

The capacity of the Stadio Sant’Elia is down to 5,000 while restructuring work aims to bring the arena up to code.

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's World Cup tipster competition - £10,000 to be won!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES