NEWS
Wednesday February 9 2011
Benitez: 'Inter ignored my plans'

Rafa Benitez has blasted Inter for “ignoring my plans,” only making transfer changes after he had already gone and players “not giving their all.”

The Coach terminated his contract by mutual consent after winning the Club World Cup in December and the side has been transformed under new boss Leonardo.

“Some players were giving their all, some were not, but that happens after a year of great success,” Benitez told Spanish newspaper Marca.

“President Massimo Moratti knew how we were working and the difficulties we faced every day. He hoped things would go for the best, but we simply didn't have the conditions needed to continue, so we agreed to rescind the contract.

“My adventure on the Inter bench had started well and we played good football, but injuries changed everything, including the internal dynamics of the team. Week after week, opinion on us changed based on the latest result and the papers continually speculated on my replacement.”

Benitez famously blasted the club for not making the changes he requested, then saw Leonardo welcomed in with a series of high-profile signings like Giampaolo Pazzini, Andrea Ranocchia, Houssine Kharja and Yuto Nagatomo.

“I don't know why there were no summer buys. I was the first to be surprised. I couldn't believe it. In August I was asked for a plan to improve the squad and I wrote it out clearly, but it was ignored.

“During the January transfer window there were six players sold and five signed. Now it is practically a new team. Seeing part of my plan acted on now makes me think. It is an evident confirmation that I was right – this team needed changes.”

Benitez was also publicly blamed by many, including Jose Mourinho's staff, of training methods that exacerbated the spate of injuries.

“I would like to point out some facts so as not to be misunderstood,” Rafa told Marca. “80 per cent of the players with muscular lesions had similar problems in the previous two years.

“My staff did not oversee the work of the medics. Treatment and recovery process was Inter's work, not ours.

“After I left Inter, in one month there have been another eight muscular lesions. I'm sure it will sound familiar to Roberto Mancini, too.”

Think you know your Italian football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!

FOOTBALL ITALIA RELATED NEWS

TODAY'S FRONT PAGES