Roma confirm they’ll receive up to €72.5m from Liverpool for Alisson, with the Brazilian finally breaking Gigi Buffon’s record as the most expensive goalkeeper.
It was officially confirmed today that the 25-year-old has moved to Anfield, and the fee breaks a record which was set 17 years ago.
Buffon left Parma to Juventus in the summer of 2001 for 100 billion lire, around €52m.
It was the highest fee ever paid for a shot-stopper, and a record which stood until this summer.
Buffon’s fee was £32m at the time of his transfer, but while Manchester City paid £35m for Ederson, exchange rates mean that was €40m and therefore the second most expensive transfer for a goalkeeper.
Manuel Neuer now drops down to fourth in the all-time list after his €30m move from Schalke to Bayern Munich in 2011, with Jordan Pickford at fifth with his €28.5m transfer from Sunderland to Everton last summer.
World’s most expensive goalkeepers:
1) Alisson [Roma to Liverpool] - €72.5m
2) Gianluigi Buffon [Parma to Juventus] - €52m
3) Ederson [Benfica to Manchester City] - €40m
4) Manuel Neuer [Schalke 04 to Bayern Munich] - €30m
5) Jordan Pickford [Sunderland to Everton] - €28.5m